To provide a roadmap of how we can achieve our vision of a world with an abundance of seafood where workers, communities, and our ocean can all thrive, we are proud to announce the release of A Vision for Seafood.
The Vision offers an outline of our work within the framework of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs.) By aligning with the SDGs we can better connect the responsible seafood movement to global discussions about development and food systems, and help stakeholders identify interconnected environmental and social issues in their work. Our goals do not correspond to all of the SDGs nor do the SDGs cover every issue in our sector with sufficient detail. However, the SDGs highlight the interdependence of social and environmental responsibility, presenting a paradigm shift for our seafood improvement efforts and offering a much-needed push to expand beyond our movement’s historical focus on the environment. It also provides examples of how different actors in our sector might promote responsible seafood production and the UN SDGs.
The Vision is one of two documents that will be replacing the Common Vision for Sustainable Seafood, created in 2008 to help businesses deliver on their commitments to responsible seafood. The second is the Guidelines for Companies, due to be completed in early 2024.
Ultimately, the Vision aims to:
- Connect the responsible seafood movement to global discussions about development and food systems.
- Help new and existing stakeholders identify the interconnected environmental and social issues related to their project work.
- Guide the Alliance’s work to build partnerships, host discussions on emerging issues, lead projects that unite and strengthen the responsible seafood movement, and expand our impact.
* Please note, that A Vision for Seafood was originally written in English and subsequently translated. In case of a discrepancy, the English version prevails.
Lasting change requires collective action: Join us!
In 2022, the Alliance began the process of updating the Common Vision to create two documents: A Vision for Seafood (completed in 2023) and the Guidelines for Companies (coming soon). The process was led by a nine-person Working Group of Alliance Global Hub members selected with a focus on diversity of expertise and experience. Their recommendations were shared with the responsible seafood movement and a comment period was held to collect feedback on the document. After extensive debate and discussion at the Working Group level and hundreds of lines of insightful community feedback, the Vision is ready for your signature and endorsement.
Download the Vision
The following signatories express their support for our Vision for Seafood:
- Anderson Cabot Center for Ocean Life at the New England Aquarium
- Aquatic Life Institute
- Australis Aquaculture
- Blue Bridge Consulting Inc.
- Blue Ocean Mariculture
- Conservation International
- Ecology Action Centre
- FISH Safety Foundation
- Francisco Blaha
- Future of Fish
- Kate Barclay
- Living Oceans Society
- Lusamerica Foods – Monterey Bay Seafood
- Mar y Comercio
- Marine Conservation Society
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch
- Ocean Outcomes
- Ocean Wise Seafood
- Organic Ocean Seafood Inc
- Patuakhali Science and Technology University
- Premier Catch
- Pronatura Noroeste
- Qingdao Marine Conservation Society (QMCS)
- Rob Stewart Sharkwater Foundation
- Sea Choice
- Seafood Legacy
- SmartFish Comercializadora
- SmartFish Rescate de Valor
- The Marine Mammal Center
- UMITO Partners
- World Benchmarking Alliance