The Conservation Alliance for Seafood Solutions is a global organization uniting and aligning the responsible seafood movement. We envision a just and equitable world where the production, trade, and consumption of seafood mitigate environmental impacts while providing food and sustaining livelihoods for seafood workers and communities.
To realize our vision, the Alliance believes it is critical that we work together to advocate for ocean health alongside human wellbeing; because we understand that one does not exist without the other.
The historical exclusion of those who hold traditional knowledge or are most affected by seafood production has led to single-issue approaches that deliver limited impact. But we know that by listening and deferring to groups with important experiences to share, we can begin to take a more integrated approach that addresses the root causes of the problems for which we seek solutions.
Sharing with one another about our work helps avoid duplication of effort and offers initiatives the best chance of success.
We can create large-scale change if we work together thoughtfully.
Respecting the knowledge and experience of all voices means we can have tough conversations in a safe container.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, & INCLUSION
To advance diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in our organization, the Alliance commits to:
- Build anti-racism, equity, diversity, and inclusion practices and training into our organization while encouraging others to do the same.
- Recognize, engage, and elevate the voices of communities that have been historically underrepresented in the responsible seafood movement.
- Learn, listen, and receive feedback as we take steps to create a world that is better for the health of the ocean and more inclusive and equitable for seafood workers and communities.
WHAT WE’RE DOING
To help keep us on track with our commitments to DEI, we created a roadmap with six goals that span the near, medium and long term and engaged the Alliance Staff, Alliance Board, and Global Hub. We are also participating in a learning cohort generously supported by the David and Lucile Packard Foundation.
OUR 2022 GOALS
- Alliance Staff deepen their knowledge of DEI topics and build skills that can be leveraged to advance the Alliance’s DEI goals
- An organizational culture conducive to constructive debate and refinement of ideas is co-created by all Alliance Staff
- Equity is integrated into the Alliance’s Board leadership, planning, and practices
These goals were built to be ongoing, and we’ll continue growing our efforts in all three areas indefinitely, institutionalizing this critical work as part of the fabric of the organization.
OUR 2023 GOALS
- Improve Global Hub member awareness and knowledge of equity, how it shows up in day to day work, and how to address inequities over time
- Integrate DEI into all Alliance work plans and Alliance long-term goals, and secure funds and/or additional capacity to support work in this area
OUR 2024 GOAL
- Global Hub member individual and collective work and culture is shifting toward a greater focus on equity
HOW IT’S GOING
Our team is learning and growing stronger every day as a unit as we continue on our equity journey together. Peer learning with each other and in the David and Lucile Packard Foundation-funded cohort has helped us expand our understanding of where and how inequity shows up in our work and develop tactics to address issues. Conversations about DEI with the Alliance Board and Global Hub are shining light on areas where we can do better and helping to establish equity as a critical focal point for the responsible seafood movement. And, with institutionalized policies in place for the Alliance where previously none existed, we are weaving our values around diversity, equity, and inclusion into the fabric of the Alliance organization so that the changes we are making now will be lasting and durable.
The Alliance Global Hub has the potential for far-reaching and meaningful impact on equity within individual organizations and in our collaborative efforts; this motivates us to keep going. As we press on, the Alliance team is specifically looking forward to deepening our engagement with the Alliance Board and Global Hub, and sharing our lessons learned along the way.